What was more surprising, Mario coming to iOS, realtime iWorks colab or the removal of the headphone port? Either way it was one hell of an exciting Apple event with Phil Schiler taking up most of the screen time. We recorded our reactions right after the show in this episode of the Essential Apple Podcast.
This weeks talking points:
Mario is coming to iOS
Holy crap – Mario coming to the App Store even if its just an auto runner in Portrait mode online. Aimed at one handed play, New battle mode called road rally. One price. No in app purchase.
iWork Realtime Colaboration demo by Susan Prescott.
- Works with and Apple device and via browser.
- Pics weren’t moved but looks interesting especially as quip was purchased by sales force.
- Relase Date Anyone?
- Second place to Rolex in terms of revenue.
- Top selling smart watch.
- Apple Watch comes top in JD power study. Apple is failing tho right because they dont have anything in the fitbit price range?
Up on stage is Jeff Williams to talk about Pokèmon go on Apple Watch but what was that small thing he dropped in that looked like a 3rd party product annoucement. Did that look a bit sheepish to anyone else?
Pokemon walks are now recorded as workouts.
Apple Watch series 2
- Swim proof. Water resistant 50 meters.
- Redesigned speaker system. Uses the speaker to eject the water.
- 700 swimmers of all types to create an algorithm to measure pool swim and open water swim.
- Pace. Distance and calorie burn. Tailors to you.
- 2nd gen SIP
- Dual core. 50% faster
- Gpu. Up to 2x faster
- Night sky running at 60 fps
- New 2ng gen display
- 1000 nits
- Apples brightest display ever
- Built in Gps
- Gps accurate pace and distance.
- Color codes map to show various speed.
- New case
- Aluminium. Stainless steel and ceramic!
- 4 times harder than stainless steel.
No mention of battery life other than a trail demo and a mention of 5 hours walking time. Obviously thats from full charge. Wonder what battery life will be like after a day of normal usage. Partnered with Nike but that wont be out till October.
- High gloss black finish. It’s the Teflon edition.
- Home button.
- Force sensitive Taptic.
- Programmable by third party apps.
- Water and dust resistant.
- Ip67 standard.
- Optical image stab in all iPhone models
- 1.8 aperture
- 12 megapixel sensor 30% more efficient.
- Quad led True Tone flash.
- 100 billion operations in 25 milliseconds.
- Imagine stability in Live Photos
- Raw dmg files
- 7mp FaceTime camera.
- iPhone 7 plus camera
- 2 x 12 mp camera.
- One is wide angle one telephoto.
- Zoom feature using 2 cameras
- Up to 10x software zoom after 2x
- Shadow depth of field.
- Used in portrait mode
- Real time preview.
- Best camera made in any smartphone.
- Stereo speakers.
- Top and bottom
- 2 x louder w increase dynamic range.
- Jbl reflex aware. Adaptive noise cancellation.
- Adaptive. Lightning to mini phono free.
- Courage to move on and do something that betters all of us.
- Maintaining an ancient bit analogue connection.
- A vision for how audio should work
- Apple air pods
- New W1 chip
- It sensors detect when in ear.
- Motion accelerometer. Siri double tap.
- Beam forming microphones.
- 5 hours listening.
- Charging case of 24 hours
- Intelligent switching between devices.
- Put EarPods near iPhone and they connect.
- No pairing or un pairing.
- New beats headphones beats solo 3 wireless. 40 hours
- Power beats 3 wireless
- Beats x (cheap ones)
- Apple Pay
- Japan FeliCa nfc comparability.
- Apple Pay late October.
- A10 fusion.
- Four core cpu
- 2 cores 40% faster than A9
- 2 cores. High efficient running at 1/5 the power. Used for emails.
- Apple designed performance controller.
- Graphics six core graphics 50% faster than a9. 3x faster than a8
- 2 hours longer than the 6 s
- Installment plans.
- iPhone upgrade program.
- $32 a month
- Available in U.K.
- September 9th pre order. Shipping 1 week later.
- EarPods at $159
And that about covers all we talked about. This week I’ve cheated on the show notes, using our colaborated notes from the event.